Sunday 3 April 2011

The defacto storage unit

I think that every parent owns at least one piece of Ikea Expedit shelving. It meets all of the key criteria for toy storage: good storage space for small pieces, looks modern & clean, and is a decent price point (because let's face it - we want to have something that looks good but we know the wear & tear that kids and toys will have on it!). We have two of their units - a large one (4x4?) downstairs, and today we purchased the 1x5 for upstairs. Because toys have taken over our house.


Now the interesting thing is though, that there are limited options for the storage containers that you can insert. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic ones that Ikea sells, and the wicker ones I think will scratch the shelving too much (we've had lots of issues w/ wicker baskets and our floors -- look nice but they've done a good number in a couple rooms!). I went on a bit of a search for a nice basket that would fit it -- and came up a bit short. However, I didn't have a lot of time to invest, I will admit - as I wanted the unit set up this weekend. I did manage to come up w/ some cute cloth Reisenthel boxes at Storage Solutions -they don't fit perfectly but they have lids on them, and so they look nice and neat. I just thought, this MUST be a market opportunity for someone, to produce some alternative storage boxes for the Ikea Expedit shelving, that are a perfect fit?!

Here's how it turned out!


No comments:

Post a Comment